[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:52:49 UTC 2007

Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> Feel free to come up with a solution, Rex. I no longer believe you will.
>> This should/will be driven by those who feel passionate about it, and care
>> enough to do something constructive.  That someone is not *me*
>> specifically.
>
> Sorry, that obviously was wrong, I meant Fedora/EPEL, not you specifically.
>
> Apparently, people feeling passionate against repotags are not passionate
> about a solution altogether. You can insinuate that I am not constructive,
> but we have a solution that worked for the past 5 years, which is denied
> without real argumentation or alternative that is practical for EL2 upto
> EL5.

I think this is really a tool issue, unless repotags are already enough
to solve the problem that a newer package from any repo implicitly
obsoletes existing ones of the same name.  What we need is an update
mechanism that permits groups of files to be replaced with incompatible
versions from a different repo if explicitly told to do that, but
subsequently (and always by default) will not update/replace any package
with a version from a different repository.

But I thought someone mentioned earlier that conflicts happen if you
enable both dag and atrpms, so repotags must not be enough even though
they might help to diagnose the problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com