[CentOS] Re: Please help me rate vnc, rdesktop, and freenx

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Dec 7 17:56:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007, Scott Silva wrote:
>on 12/6/2007 2:57 PM Les Bell spake the following:
>>Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>>
>>Yeah... ssh into the server, vi whatever.conf re-[start|load] service, exit
>>ssh.
>>"the simple things are sometimes the best!"
>><<
>>
>>Darn straight. And using ssh-agent (or Pageant with PuTTY on Windows) in
>>conjunction with key forwarding, you can make it easy to script stuff that
>>runs across multiple machines, thereby automating an entire server farm, if
>>you want to. Unix admin maxim: if you have to do something more than once,
>>write a script for it. See
>>http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/web/SSH+for+Server+Administration?OpenDocument
>>
>>We certainly don't want to revert to the "point-and-grunt" method of doing
>>things found in the Windows world. I thought we'd put that behind us when
>>we stopped living in the trees.
>>
>>[I considered a "wink" smiley here, but decided against it. ;) ].
>>
>Speaking of windows (ducking), I see that server 2008 will have a
>command-line only install mode. It looks like Microsoft finally realized
>how much usable processor time is wasted refreshing GUI screens on servers
>no one is even looking at.

At one time I had a system monitor running on an NT machine which
provide a pretty display of CPU usage over time, and noticed that
an idle machine with nothing but a ``screen saver'' running
seemed to have about 30% CPU utilization which dropped near zero
as soon as some activity shut the screen saver down.

Granted, this was probably 8 years ago and processors are faster,
but it's still indicative of M$-Bloat.

Bill

The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed.  A sentiment more unworthy of a free country could
hardly be propagated.  If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have only to
declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ...  In war,
then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the press.
Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.
		-- William Ellery Channing