[CentOS] RAID-1 strategy for a CentOS/Xen server?

Bob Tomkins bob.r350 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:33:44 UTC 2007

Hi Jon,

On Dec 7, 2007 10:57 AM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:

> The entire system I would install on HW RAID, and use LVM for
> flexibility in domU configurations.  You can do things like take LVM
> snapshots and have a clone of your system available for testing, for
> instance.
>
> In a recent Red Hat class that I took (RH436 - clustering and storage)
> we had a dom0 and several domU's - all of the domU's were actually
> snapshots of one "gold master" if you will, so that:
>
> 1) The amount of storage required is reduced
> 2)  The ability to quickly rebuild one of the domU's to a "known-good"
> configuration.
>
> Let me know if you have any further question!

Thanks for the reply!

Generally, I've been slowly coming to the same conclusion.

Am I correct in my understanding that each DomU contains an instance of
OS/kernel + app binaries in it's own virtual volume/file space, but that
*data* (effectively, *any* dynamic content) is written by the DomU processes
to/from the Dom0 hypervisor's volume/file space?

How about swap?  Dom0 of course has its swap -- and could/should be RAIDed,
but what about  GuestOS' swap?  I honestly haven't gotten that far yet ....

Regards,

Bob Tompkins