[CentOS] RAID-1 strategy for a CentOS/Xen server?

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:51:14 UTC 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 2:33 PM, Bob Tomkins <bob.r350 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I correct in my understanding that each DomU contains an instance of
> OS/kernel + app binaries in it's own virtual volume/file space, but that
> *data* (effectively, *any* dynamic content) is written by the DomU processes
> to/from the Dom0 hypervisor's volume/file space?

Not really.  Each domU has it's own storage space - which can either
be a file or an LVM volume.  In the instance that I described, we
"fooled" the domU by actually using LVM snapshots (let me know if
you're not familiar with the concept) thereby only physically having
one copy of the binaries.  Anything that was written to those domU's
was written into the snapshot space.

> How about swap?  Dom0 of course has its swap -- and could/should be RAIDed,
> but what about  GuestOS' swap?  I honestly haven't gotten that far yet ....

The domU's would each have their own swap, written to whatever
diskspace the domU occupies.