[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Dec 8 08:31:08 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>

>> I have repeatedly asked people to take this conversation away from
>> this list. Is there really any point you are trying to make by
>> carrying on ?
>>
>> its not that hard to just post a follow up on another list, both you
>> and rex are on the epel and the rpmforge lists. how about pick one and
>> post the follow up's there ?
>
> There is a distribution-related issue here whether you care to
> acknowledge it or not - and the solution isn't going to be to wait until
> the whole world decides on only one version of everything.  Incompatible
> repositories should be allowed/encouraged to exist and we need a way to
> deal with them reasonably.

THIS IS NOT A CENTOS ISSUE ... IT NEVER WILL BE A CENTOS ISSUE

When people use RHEL, they are not even allowed to use 3rd party repos
without making their service contract void if it causes any problems at all.

We are a clone ... therefore we strive emulate the original.

Third party repo integration is NOT A CENTOS issue.

Anything that is not in the upstream distro (or in CentOSPlus or
CentOSExtras repos or another repo we add) IS NOT A CENTOS issue.

If people want to use smart package manager or apt-rpm or synaptic
instead of yum ... THAT IS NOT A CENTOS ISSUE.

If people think yum sucks, or rpm sucks, or gnome 2.16 sucks, or any
other thing provided by upstream sucks ... IT IS NOT A CENTOS ISSUE

We can not change the files that are included upstream, nor can we make
people build repos that are compatible with each other.

WHY OH WHY OH WHY