[CentOS] packages downgraded when going from 5.0 to 5.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Dec 8 18:15:06 UTC 2007

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few packages where the latest updated version in 5.0 is greater
> than the current 5.1 version.
>
> Here is the list: package, installed version (from 5.0 updates),
> available (in 5.1)
>
> flac
> 1.1.2-28.el5_0.1
> 1.1.2-27
>
> flac-devel
> 1.1.2-28.el5_0.1
> 1.1.2-27
>
> hpijs
> 1.6.7-4.1.el5.3
> 1.6.7-4.1
>
> libsane-hpaio
> 1.6.7-4.1.el5.3
> 1.6.7-4.1
>
> thunderbird
> 1.5.0.12-5.el5.centos
> 1.5.0.12-3.el5.centos
>

> I use mirrors.ircam.fr, and apt+synaptic but I don't think that's the
> reason (except perhaps for the hp stuff?)
>
> Is something wrong on my side? If not, should I downgrade those packages
> to the 5.1 versions?
>
> Thanks in advance

BTW ... it is quite normal for a release to have some packages on the
ISO that are older than those that are released in updates.

They finalize the ISO based on the beta and if pressing security updates
happen close to release time, they do not roll those in and respin the ISOs.

We are now trying to mimic as closely as possible the ISO package set,
so that our 5.0 or 5.1 or 4.6 is the same as upstream for user
convenience ... but there will be released packages that are newer than
those on the ISO because of this.

However, the updates directory for 5.1 should also have all the same
files. so you should not need to downgrade anything.