[CentOS] OT: Rsync question

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sun Dec 9 19:23:39 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007, Steven Vishoot wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I have an off topic question about rsync and was
>wondering if i can get some kind person help with it.
>I have two servers with each server have three same
>directories on them /dir1/ /dir2/ /dir3/ . How would i
>achieve this by using rsync?
>I have tried rsync -avrt --delete server_ip:/dir1/
>/dir2/ /dir3/ /dir1/ /dir2/ /dir3/
>this does not do anything except give errors.

I usually set up an rsync module on the remote system allowing
writes, and restricting access to the IP address of the machine
initiating the backups.  Say this is backups_upd.  Then I'll do
something like:

cd /
for dir in dir*; do
	rsync --delete -axr $dir destmachine::backups_upd/$dir
done

The section of the rsyncd.conf file might look like this:

[backups_upd]
	list = no
	uid = root
	gid = root
	read only = false
	use chroot = false
	path = /backups
	comment = /backups
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/16
	hosts deny = *

Bill

It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential
programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of
regeneration.  -- Dijkstra