[CentOS] Re: perl-File-Temp problem

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Dec 10 19:05:29 UTC 2007

on 12/10/2007 5:06 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:
> Ftnx wrote on Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:25:16 -0500:
>
>> Transaction Check Error:
>>   file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from install of
>> perl-File-Temp-0.19-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
>> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2
>
> I'm not sure, but I think this means that your *attempted* install of the
> rpmforge package fails! (So, this is from your attempt to fix the problem,
> it didn't create the problem!)
>
>> I started looking for the problem, when amavisd-new failed with an error
>> pointing to File::Temp.
>
> It may not have failed because of the attempted installation above, but
> because amavisd-new needs functionality that is not in the core File::Temp,
> but only in perl-File-Temp-0.19-1. Coincidentally (?) the very latest
> MailScanner also needs the very latest perl-File-Temp ...
> AFAIK it is not recommended to replace files from the Perl core package.
>
> Kai

This has been a sore spot with some rpm distros. Perl should be packaged as a
core, and all other modules should be just that, modules. The trouble would be
who will define what is the core of perl, and what is modular. Some times you
can only solve these with a rpm --force, rpm --nodeps, or CPAN. And none of
these options are optimal.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and