[CentOS] KMIDI problem

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Dec 10 00:56:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 06:46:40PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 07:37:41AM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> > Hi gang!
> >
> > Running 5.1 with Gnome as the default desktop, but have installed KDE
> > too so I can run kde apps.
> >
> > Kmidi is the default midi player, so if I click on a midi file in firefox
> > it brings up KMIDI.
>
> Actually, it's KMID, not KMIDI.
>

> > KMIDI goes merrily along playing the file, but I get NO SOUND.
> >
> > My motherboard has built in audio but it's disabled and I"m using an
> > old Audiopci 128 card which seems to work fine for everything else.
> > (Why? because it sounds MUCH better than the ac97 junk)
> >
> > Clues for making midi work?
>
> Looks as if it may be that KMID expects there to be either hardware
> support for midi (which this sound card does not provide--it's
> es1371) or a midi-to-something-else converter, such as timidity++
> which also isn't present.
>
> Seems strange that the system would install KMID without the other
> tools it needs...
>
> Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find a RH5/Centos5-compatible timidity++
> build anywywere. I tried recently to build it and gave up with a series of
> errors that I didn't have the ambition to work around. Anyone know where
> I can find a suitable RPM for Timidity++?
>
> Gracias!

OK, with a bunch of browsing and head-scratching I got it working. I"ll
document here what I did in case anyone else needs to know.

First of all on a es1371 card there is no midi, and KMID expects some
other agency to provide a MIDI sequencer, either hardware or another
program.

I went back to the Timidity++ I had tried to build before and it built
cleanly (I have no clue why it hadn't worked a few months ago). The various
other postings I had found (in other fora) suggestedusing Timidity as
a midi server by using the commandline: timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

I tried this, and as you might expect it failed because the vanilla
Timidity++ build doesn't include some of the options you need to do this.
Rerunning the ./configure in timidity++ with these options:

	./configure --enable-alsaseq --with-default-output=alsa

gives me the services I need.

Then I could start Timidity as shown above.

once started, fire up KMID, go to SETTINGS | MIDI SETUP and choose one of
the timidity ports. For me port 0 seems to work best (I have no clue what
the others are for).

Configured that way I can play local midi files with KMID.

My next step is to see if it will work when KMID is started by Firefox.
Yes!

NOTE: after installing Timidity++ you'll need a set of "voices", as Timidity
comes with only a minimal set. The INSTALL file in the timidity source
archive tells you places to look for such things. You'll also need to
find or create a timidity config file telling where to find those files.
Luckily I had a set of all those files lying around from a previous
installation.

BTW, I used Timidity++2.13.2.

YMMV! :)

Good luck!