[CentOS] KMIDI problem

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Dec 9 23:46:40 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 07:37:41AM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> Running 5.1 with Gnome as the default desktop, but have installed KDE
> too so I can run kde apps.
>
> Kmidi is the default midi player, so if I click on a midi file in firefox
> it brings up KMIDI.

Actually, it's KMID, not KMIDI.

> KMIDI goes merrily along playing the file, but I get NO SOUND.
>
> My motherboard has built in audio but it's disabled and I"m using an
> old Audiopci 128 card which seems to work fine for everything else.
> (Why? because it sounds MUCH better than the ac97 junk)
>
> Clues for making midi work?

Looks as if it may be that KMID expects there to be either hardware
support for midi (which this sound card does not provide--it's
es1371) or a midi-to-something-else converter, such as timidity++
which also isn't present.

Seems strange that the system would install KMID without the other
tools it needs...

Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find a RH5/Centos5-compatible timidity++
build anywywere. I tried recently to build it and gave up with a series of
errors that I didn't have the ambition to work around. Anyone know where
I can find a suitable RPM for Timidity++?

Gracias!