[CentOS] Going back to old kernels?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Dec 12 15:24:21 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:28:24 +0800:

Hi Christopher, thanks for your reply!

> May I ask whether the nature of your crashes involve network code?

No, it's likely more a filesystem issue. I posted earlier on the tenth in
the message "unstable kernel after update to CentOS 4.5" about it.
>From 6 kernel dumps 5 were with process dovecot-auth, one with "mv". As
dovecot-auth accesses user's home directories I assume it could be related
to the corruption problem (which seems to be fixed, though, after I did a
repair of that partition, it seems the earlier boots reflagged the
filesystem as clean, but didn't repair it) I describe in that message.

If I go back to the old kernel and the problem persists it's not related to
the new kernel but probably indeed a hardware problem.

> The only packages that may possibly not work with older kernels are
> packages related to the kernel like iptables or kernel modules. You
> should not have to worry about iptables as it has not been updated since
> release. I cannot say much else than that since I do not know what is on
> your box.

Hm, kernel modules are coming with the kernel package as well, arent't
they? And they are still around (in /lib/modules) unless I uninstall them,
right? I didn't install or compile any extra modules. Are there other
packages beyond iptables that hold modules? This is a non-X webserver-type
machine, not clustered, simple IDE. So, should likely be fine to revert?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany