[CentOS] OpenSSL binary compatibility between CentOS 4 and 5

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 13 00:19:26 UTC 2007

Ed Schofield wrote:
> Assuming it makes sense to contribute this, we'd want to do it right.
> Could anyone outline steps to make the packages secure and compatible?
> For example, is it sufficient to roll up the .so files from the CentOS
> 4.x openssl packages into rpms and add Requires tags for .so files from
> compat-glibc?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

you need a clean .spec file that builds from pristine sources + patches.
One option would be to base your spec off what is in openssl-centos4,
that way you should just be able to follow upstream for bugfix and
security issues.

once you have this done, post the .spec file and any patches you have to
the centos-devel list. We'd then pick it up and move it via qa to the
testing repo and then finally the Extras/ repo.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.