[CentOS] Yum update wants to overwrite newer app package

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 00:45:34 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 9:06 AM, Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu> wrote:

> I wasn't terribly clear. By "newer", I only mean in the eyes of RPM. You
> could take foo-0.0.0.0.1beta, give it an epoch of 1 and foo-99.9pro with
the
> default epoch of 0, and RPM would think the 0.0.0.0.1beta was newer.
>
> I'm not sure why the openoffice 2.x RPMs have an epoch of 1.

It seems that there is more to it.

OOo says they do not release 64-bit RPMs of their code, therefore the 64-bit
RPMs must have come from CentOS.

If that's true, doesn't it break some kind of unwritten rule to supersede
newer software from an OEM source with older software that has been rebuilt?

I have the exclude now (and OOo 2.3.1, which is still 32-bit and "older"
than the CentOS 5.1 epoch of OOo 2.0.4), but this just seems wrong.

mhr