[CentOS] Yum update wants to overwrite newer app package

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Dec 14 02:31:56 UTC 2007

Mhr wrote on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:45:34 -0800:

> If that's true, doesn't it break some kind of unwritten rule to supersede newer software from an OEM source with older software that has been rebuilt?

I'm just "reading by" but if I understood you correctly you installed a
32bit rpm of the 2.3 version (which you missed to tell from the beginning)
and now yum wants to "update" to a 2.0.4 64bit rpm version.
I think you missed a vital point - there's no connection
between the 32bit and 64bit packages, it will never attempt to "update" a
32bit package to 64bit. What actually happens is that it updates the
installed older 64bit package to the newer one. It doesn't matter at all
if you have a 32bit version installed or not. It's just a mystery why
those packages are not shown in your rpm -qa run. But it's clear that
yum thinks they are installed.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany