[CentOS] Re: What is equivalent to MS OUTLOOK ?

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Fri Dec 14 20:22:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 11:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 10:40 -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
> > on 12/13/2007 6:43 PM Chris Mauritz spake the following:

> > > I haven't actually tried it myself since I'm satisfied with
> > > Thunderbird.  What exactly was wrong with it?  I've never used Evolution
> > > (even on Linux) since it always seemed rather buggy to me.
> > >
> > I tried a quick install "just to see" and no matter how I tried to connect to
> > my imap server, it kept throwing ssl errors, even without trying an encrypted
> > connection. In no way could I connect and display messages or folders.
> > Then after uninstall, it left a lot of stuff behind, still running.
> > I think the creator made it just fit their requirements and stopped.
> ----
> I've been using Evolution in various versions via CentOS, RHEL and
> Fedora for years, always with an IMAP server and using TLS too. Note
> that this e-mail (like all my e-mails whether from office or home) was
> written with Evolution.
>
> Never had an issue
>
> The only feature that it seems to lack is support for namespaces such as
> those offered by cyrus with shared folders.
>
> Craig

I agree with Craig's sentiment about Evolution + IMAP.  No problems.
Now, Evolution + Exchange Connector, that's a different story.  My mail
box at work is on Exchange, and at the moment that probably isn't going
to change.  I found the Exchange Connector to be too slow in versions
prior to 2.12 (inefficient recursive checking of mail in folders/shared
folders), but that 2.12 had it's own share of Exchange problems
(calendar messages were messed-up, *all* attachments came through as
that stoopid winmail.dat crap).

I've found that when dealing with Exchange and people on non-Windows
(even OSX w/o MS Office), you have two options:

1) Get rid of Exchange.  (IMO, preferable)

   -- or --

2) Enable IMAP, use what-ever client you want, and use OWA (Outlook Web
Access) for your calendaring.  (not perfect, but works)

Now, I've heard of rumours that someone is working on a native MAPI
plug-in for Evolution (Connector uses OWA's RPC-over-HTTP), but no ETA
as of yet.

--Tim
< Too many interrupts >
  \