[CentOS] "multi-boot" drive partitioning

redhat at mckerrs.net redhat at mckerrs.net
Tue Dec 18 03:44:38 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Cox" <theatre at sasktel.net>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:20:01 PM (GMT+1000) Australia/Brisbane
Subject: [CentOS] "multi-boot" drive partitioning

I want to set up a multiple "mode" computer with four separate Centos
installations on it. The objective here is to have a "spare computer" that I
can boot up into any of four "modes" depending on what I'm swapping it in for a
the moment. For example, I want to be able to boot it up as a webserver, or as
a fileserver, or as a LTSP-enabled application server. And so on.

I have a computer here with two 300GB hard drives in it, which I plan to split
into four 150GB partitions, one for each of my "modes". And I want to install
Centos separately and independently into each partition, so I can just tell
Grub to boot up using whatever partition I choose.

What is the best way to accomplish this? I have a bad feeling that the drive
partitioning tool is going to complain about having multiple / partitions
unless I take steps to avoid that.

believed to be clean.

Have you thought about virtualization ? What hardware are you planning on running this on ?

believed to be clean.