[CentOS] Trackerless torrents

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Dec 20 02:20:03 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:
> Ah, yes. It sounds so simple. But I've been perusing the various
> references available (bittorrent ones are sparse - no man pages) and if
> I want to seed beginning with the ones I've already downloaded, it seems
> to get more complicated. Port forwarding through my firewall, generation
> and publishing (I currently have no http presence) of a torrent file,
> getting one of my computers to the DMZ (I use IPCop and right now all
> are in the green zone),... In fact, the /usr/share/doc bitorrent files
> say I need to start with a tracker.

when the centos tracker was down, I fired up uTorrent on a Windows box
w/ the 5.1 i386 dvd  torrent, and it managed to find a few dozen peers
in a few minutes and pretty quickly was downloading at close to my
wirespeed.  Within about half an hour, I was uploading at 60% of my
bandwidth and still climbing, and it showed that there were 118 or
something available peers, but uTorrent tends to only connect to 30 or
so at once to keep the traffic efficient.

i just fired it back up to go ahead and share, i'm seeing 180 seeds and
190 peers on i386, and 116/54 on x86_64...   i'll leave it running for
the holidays at least.