[CentOS] problems building appletalk module with new kernel

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 00:39:37 UTC 2007

On Dec 25, 2007 3:44 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 14:39 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Dec 25, 2007 2:20 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> >
> > > OK, I thought I ended xen excursions by removing previous copy of xen
> > > kernel but obviously it came back with updates. How do I make sure that
> > > xen kernel doesn't get installed next time?
> >
> > Do a 'rpm -q kernel' and remove all -xen kernels installed.
> ----
> been there, done that...but that wasn't the answer.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/kernel was the answer

I somehow had an impression that you originally installed the standard
kernel and then installed the xen kernel later to "play" with it.
However, from what you said it is now apparent (to me) that you
_originally_ installed the xen kernel.  This is because
/etc/sysconfig/kernel is set up by anaconda at the install time and in
your case it had the "kernel-xen" defined.  In this case, editing
/etc/sysconfig/kernel is indeed required because removing the xen
kernels would not touch that file.  In other words, once set up by
anaconda, /etc/sysconfig/kernel remains the same regardless of what
kernel you install or remove at a later time.

Akemi