[CentOS] Yum breaks after updating to CentOS 4.6

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Dec 31 06:41:52 UTC 2007

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007 8:53 PM, Devraj Mukherjee <devraj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Yum on one my CentOS systems has decided to stop functioning after an
>> upgrade to CentOS 4.6. It's complaining about errors with
>> Python-SQLite packages?
>>
>> Any ideas anyone? Here is what happens.
>>
>> [root at monk var]# yum search zaptel
>> Setting up repositories
>> Reading repository metadata in from local files
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
>>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 102, in main
>>     result, resultmsgs = do()
>>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 545, in doCommands
>>     return self.search()
>>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 1129, in search
>>     for (po, matched_value) in matching:
>>   File "__init__.py", line 1157, in searchGenerator
>>   File "sqlitesack.py", line 52, in returnSimple
>>   File "sqlitesack.py", line 273, in getPackageDetails
>>   File "sqlitesack.py", line 403, in db2class
>>   File "/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
>> line 97, in __getattr__
>> AttributeError: LOCATION_BASE
>
> Take a look at this thread (an answer from Johnny Hughes for the same question):
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-December/091669.html
>
> Akemi

OK .. it seems that ATRPMS (a 3rd party repo) has a version of yum in
the EL4 repo that breaks centos 4:

http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/yum/

If you use *_ANY_* 3rd party repo *_IMHO_* you *_MUST_* use the
yum-priorities (or yum-plugin-priorities for CentOS-4) plugin to prevent
things like this from happening:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes