[CentOS] Re: Yum breaks after updating to CentOS 4.6

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Dec 31 09:53:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 12:41:52AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Dec 30, 2007 8:53 PM, Devraj Mukherjee <devraj at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> Yum on one my CentOS systems has decided to stop functioning after an
> >> upgrade to CentOS 4.6. It's complaining about errors with
> >> Python-SQLite packages?
> >>
> >> Any ideas anyone? Here is what happens.
> >>
> >> [root at monk var]# yum search zaptel
> >> Setting up repositories
> >> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
> >>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
> >>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 102, in main
> >>     result, resultmsgs = do()
> >>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 545, in doCommands
> >>     return self.search()
> >>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 1129, in search
> >>     for (po, matched_value) in matching:
> >>   File "__init__.py", line 1157, in searchGenerator
> >>   File "sqlitesack.py", line 52, in returnSimple
> >>   File "sqlitesack.py", line 273, in getPackageDetails
> >>   File "sqlitesack.py", line 403, in db2class
> >>   File "/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
> >> line 97, in __getattr__
> >> AttributeError: LOCATION_BASE
> >
> > Take a look at this thread (an answer from Johnny Hughes for the same question):
> >
> > http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-December/091669.html
> >
> > Akemi
>
> OK .. it seems that ATRPMS (a 3rd party repo) has a version of yum in
> the EL4 repo that breaks centos 4:
>
> http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/yum/

Hm, why does that break CentOS4? It works fine here on RHEL4. We
should find the cause and fix it.

> If you use *_ANY_* 3rd party repo *_IMHO_* you *_MUST_* use the
> yum-priorities (or yum-plugin-priorities for CentOS-4) plugin to prevent
> things like this from happening:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Well, allow me to present a different view: As a third party repo
maintainer I can't support all possible
priority/weighing/protectbase/etc. filtering and reordering mechanisms
out there. These selective/partial enablement or repos have caused far
more bugs that they solved (like not downloading the proper part of
the dependencies needed for some functionality) - and all bugs are of
personal nature to the reporter as they depend on how they configured
their filtering.

So the recommendation from ATrpms is to *not* use such mechanisms. And
the successor of ATrpms is working on mechanisms to allow this to
happen for a set of filtering profiles on a server side (e.g. offer a
full and a non-replacing subrepo), so that the repo maintainers can
actually know what the two different user profiles are using and even
replicate this on their systems.

Short story: Compatibility between repos must be coordinated by
humans, not yum plugins, and in this case I'll move the yum package
away into the "bleeding" area until we figure out what is causing the
CentOS4 extra packages vs ATrpms incompatibility (and it could be that
priorities are actually causing this bug, as this yum needs some more
dependencies that the old one - if it had been a general issue there
would be far more CentOS/SL/RHEL4 users crying out).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net