[CentOS] php version 4.4 / ez publish

Michael Kress kress at hal.saar.de
Wed Feb 14 15:32:48 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 23:17 -0800, gillbates wrote:
>
>> I have a silly question... why not install from source?
>>
>> http://www.php.net/downloads.php
>>
>> PHP 4.4.4

of course I thought about that but ...
> Installing items from source is bad on an RPM based system ... it

because I don't want to spend 10 minutes in upgrading my php, I'd rather
do it in 2 minutes with yum and I'm sure that the consistency of the
rest of the system is kind of guaranteed.

> If these people want their product used by people in the enterprise, it
> surely should work on RHEL ... RHEL + Fedora + CentOS = ~55% of all
> Linux internet servers on the Dec 2005 netcraft survey (the last one
> they published showing linux versions).

full ack - it's a bit conceited and arrogant to say that my software
requires 4.4 knowing that with that one major part of the world having
an Enterprise OS installed may not use my product.
> The best bet is to fix the app that requires php 4.4 or to find/build an
> RPM for php-4.4.

That's a bit Redhat's fault.

Anyways, I tried ez publish 3.9 on centos 4.4 with the current php
(php-4.3.9-3.22) and it works though. AFAI can judge it, it works
flawlessly. Has anybody got similar experience with that?
Regards,
Michael

Michael Kress, kress at hal.saar.de
http://www.michael-kress.de / http://kress.net