[CentOS] Re: Problem with some SMTP MTAs

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Tue Feb 20 22:26:35 UTC 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Edward Milstein wrote:

> Why implement this block as an access.db instead of a route add
> x.x.x.x/24 reject??

If you drop the packets, the sending server will queue the message
for 4 or 5 days before returning it to a hypothetical live user.  By
doing the 5xx message the live users will get the bounce message
almost immediately (as should the postmaster) and take action to get
delisted.

> If some address space is removed from the spamhaus droplist, than
> do you manually remove it from access.db list???  How do you know
> if it was removed??  Is address space ever removed??

I just download the list periodically and regenerate the access.db.
You can diff it if you like.  That takes care of the first two.  Yes,
Spamhaus does remove addresses from the list periodically.

> Sorry but might be a better discussion for a sendmail list!! ;-)

Could be.

--Chris