[CentOS] CentOS 3 vs. CentOS 4 Memory Utilization

Fri Feb 9 03:33:02 UTC 2007
hkclark at gmail.com <hkclark at gmail.com>

I'm helping some folks who have a CentOS 3 i386 server with 512MB of
RAM.  The output of 'free' looks like:

$ free
Mem:        511428     497956      13472          0      29868     178280
-/+ buffers/cache:     289808     221620
Swap:      2040244     120644    1919600

The box does not even have X installed... it's basically a web
application and email server.  They would like to upgrade to CentOS 4,
but are concerned that it could be considerably more "memory hungry"
and lead to memory starvation (they don't want to add more RAM to the
box at this time, although that could be an option down the road).

I ran some tests under VMWare with fresh installations of CentOS 3 and
CentOS 4 (both using a "minimal install", the same as the server in
question) and CentOS 4 seemed to only use 10-25MB more memory.
However, it's hard to know how this will translate into real-world
performance over time and with the application installed.

Does anyone have any experience that would suggest how much more
memory a non-X server like this might require?  If the application(s)
on the server stay the same, do you think we would run into issues
where memory would be depleted to a level that would cause concern?

Many thanks,
KC