[CentOS] LVM on large partitions greater than 2TB

Mon Feb 5 04:19:43 UTC 2007
Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>

Once upon a time Sunday 04 February 2007 10:04 pm, t m wrote:
> I want to create one large LVM volume on the 2.5TB device.  I seem to be
> able to create an LVM physical volume on the whole device, but I've read
> that it's better to create a single large partition for LVM as the
> existence of the partition informs other apps that the disk is in use which
> prevents accidental corruption of the LVM volume.

> Why is this so difficult?  How should large partitions be created under
> Centos?
msdos disk labels are capable of supporting only 2tb  so you need to use gpt
or split your disks up in 2tb chunks.  parted will let you create what you
need as far as got labels goes .

One big issue to note is that you can not boot from a disk labeled with gpt
labels.

Dennis