[CentOS] LVM on large partitions greater than 2TB

Mon Feb 5 05:22:02 UTC 2007
t m <bigendian at gmail.com>

Thanks Dennis.   I think you pointed me in the right direction.

The solution seems to have been to not worry about setting the
partition ID to 8e (LVM).  I used GNU parted to create one big 2.5TB
partition of type GPT.  I then just used the LVM commands to create
the physical, virtual, and logical volumes which went without a hitch.
 Finally, I formatted the 2.5TB LVM partition with mkfs.ext3 which
seems to have worked.

Here's roughly what I did in case anyone needs a cheat sheet:

# parted /dev/sdb
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 0 2.5T
(parted) quit