[CentOS] CentOS 3 vs. CentOS 4 Memory Utilization

Sat Feb 10 12:55:44 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

William Warren wrote:
> i moved away from Red Hat 2.4x kernels as they have an annoying tendency
> to swap instead of giving back cache.  I moved to Centos-4 and i have
> vm.swappiness to zero and am using at most 144K of swap across 5 machines.

I should have mentioned that every time I compare a 2.6 kernel with RHL
7.3 on this test:
hdparm -t /dev/hda

RHL is always faster. I was also running some other tests involving
bonnie{,++} where RHL was still looking good, then Google interevened.

Known problem.

It was a year or so ago, maybe it's fixed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait