[CentOS] core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

javajunkie javajunkie at koyuru.com
Tue Jan 23 01:45:05 UTC 2007

Hi,
> Funny, I was advised to buy a ASUS P5B-VM since I need 8MB memory.

I have that board.  Do NOT get it for >3gb of memory.

To get >3gb of mem you need to enable "extended memory remapping" in the
bios

When you do that, the system will be very very unusably slow.

I contacted support and they say the P5B-VM only supports windows, which
actually yes it does say that in the manual though not on the web site
where I looked before buying.

Anyway, windows users complain of the same problem.

We (linux and windows users) were all using the suggested bios 0606
(beta).

Perhaps in the future, but at this time I can say the board doesn't
support 8GB of memory.

I just checked the Asus user forums where 10 of us posted on this probem
and nothing has changed.

Shawn