[CentOS] Problems with building a complete kernel

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 23:46:30 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com> wrote:
> My bad - I rechecked and it is the correct source.  AND I found that the
> make install (with make modules_install first) takes care of GRUB for
> me.
>
> BUT:
>
> Now I can't boot because the installed Centos 4.4 was from the
> distribution DVD, and it depends on the lvm to load.  My build doesn't
> know about the lvm and it refuses to boot - it dies coming up with an
> error from lvm, followed by two more where it can't find a file system,
> then the kernel panics (and hangs the machine).
>
> How do I get around lvm?

Build your kernel with lvm support.
It sounds like you're changing far more than you need to in the
config. If you follow the how-to on the centos wiki, you'd only be
changing the things you need to, and all else will stay the same. This
keeps you from running into things like you're experiencing.

Again, are you certain you need to rebuild? What feature is it that you need?

George Orwell