[CentOS] Dag repository...

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 7 21:20:47 UTC 2007

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 1/7/07, John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Fabian Arrotin wrote:

>> > Have searched on the wiki ? :
>> > http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge
>> >

>> Some time ago, when I was using Debian/Woody, and Woody was creaking
>> with age, I added third-party repos for various things including newer
>> KDE, Mozilla....
>>
>> It later occurred to me this was imprudent, and not just because I got a
>> system that became hard to maintain. What, I asked, was there to prevent
>> the maintainers of the KDE debs to insert a brummy kernel?
>>
>> I asked, and the answer is that apt-get has the ability to control (it's
>> called pinning) what comes from where.
>>

> You can install the yum-protectbase rpm as a starter. You then say
> "protect the rpms in this base". Someone could write a more
> complicated one (per package protection), or they could write another
> plugin that did weighting so you could select which archives have
> precedence over others.

In the interests of security, this needs to be made standard behaviour,
with the standard repos protected.

A more likely example than mine someone polluting their repos with good
intent. For examile, Ximian (We can do Gnome better than Red Hat can),
or someone packaging content management software (eg phpgroupware,
egroupware, ezpublish [ez.no]) and providing "everything you need."

Their package for RHEL requires PHP5 & MySQL 5, so they just pop PHP5 &
MySQL5 into the repo "for your greater convenience."

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait