[CentOS] Dag repository...

Johnny Hughes

Mon Jan 8 20:08:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 06:20 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> >> Some time ago, when I was using Debian/Woody, and Woody was creaking
> >> with age, I added third-party repos for various things including newer
> >> KDE, Mozilla....
> >>
> >> It later occurred to me this was imprudent, and not just because I got a
> >> system that became hard to maintain. What, I asked, was there to prevent
> >> the maintainers of the KDE debs to insert a brummy kernel?
> >>
> >> I asked, and the answer is that apt-get has the ability to control (it's
> >> called pinning) what comes from where.
> >>

> > You can install the yum-protectbase rpm as a starter. You then say
> > "protect the rpms in this base". Someone could write a more
> > complicated one (per package protection), or they could write another
> > plugin that did weighting so you could select which archives have
> > precedence over others.
>
> In the interests of security, this needs to be made standard behaviour,
> with the standard repos protected.
>
> A more likely example than mine someone polluting their repos with good
> intent. For examile, Ximian (We can do Gnome better than Red Hat can),
> or someone packaging content management software (eg phpgroupware,
> egroupware, ezpublish [ez.no]) and providing "everything you need."
>
> Their package for RHEL requires PHP5 & MySQL 5, so they just pop PHP5 &
> MySQL5 into the repo "for your greater convenience."

This is available already.

There is yum-plugin-priorities.

You can set a priority from 1-99 on each repository ... and also use
"exclude=" and "includepkgs=" inside each repository to pinpoint control
of where each individual package comes from.

See:
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum

Links off that page for Priorities, Fastestmirror, and Protectbase.

(You should choose EITHER protectbase or priorities ... I use
priorities).

All those plugins are easily installable  ... set plugins=1
in /etc/yum.conf and then modify the /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo file to
your liking.