[CentOS] slow system

Sudev Barar

sbarar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 02:46:34 UTC 2007

On 14/01/07, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> > > here's my problem - system was ok and mother board died. Purchased a
> new
> > > motherboard and this is what I get...
> > >
> > > # hdparm -t /dev/md1
> > >
> > > /dev/md1:
> > >  Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.68 seconds =   1.09 MB/sec
> > >
> > > which is dreadfully slow

Any decent system with PATA drives should show values in range 30~50 MB/sec.
It would be more useful to get output from "hdparm -tT /dev/(yourdrive)"

Shots in the dark.
-- Does this system have SiL drive controller chip? I ran into similar out
put problem with a MSI MoBo having that chipset two years back although with
SATA drives.
-- Replace drive cables. I have seen degraded output with some old cables
but never so much.

HTH
--
Regards,