[CentOS] slow system

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 16 00:28:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 08:16 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> On 14/01/07, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>         > > here's my problem - system was ok and mother board died.
>         Purchased a new
>         > > motherboard and this is what I get...
>         > >
>         > > # hdparm -t /dev/md1
>         > >
>         > > /dev/md1:
>         > >  Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.68 seconds =
>         1.09 MB/sec
>         > >
>         > > which is dreadfully slow
>

> Any decent system with PATA drives should show values in range 30~50
> MB/sec. It would be more useful to get output from "hdparm
> -tT /dev/(yourdrive)"
>
> Shots in the dark.
> -- Does this system have SiL drive controller chip? I ran into similar
> out put problem with a MSI MoBo having that chipset two years back
> although with SATA drives.
>
> -- Replace drive cables. I have seen degraded output with some old
> cables but never so much.
----
it was an Intel M/B and putting in a separate ATA controller fixed it
(it wasn't the drive cable or the drives) - this ended up moving the
drives to hde/hdf respectively and I ended up having to rebuild the
faulty mirrored drives - easy enough, I didn't ever have to do that
before but it wasn't difficult.

Thanks Les/Sudev/all

Craig