[CentOS] Desktop link for NTFS .htm file type asks for run or display in CentOS 4.4

Sat Jan 6 18:38:52 UTC 2007
Edward Diener <eldiener at tropicsoft.com>

I created a desktop launcher whose type was a link and pointed to an
NTFS file on a read-only ( ro ) partition. When I open the launcher it
always asks me whether I want to display or run the file. Of course I
want display it and when I click on that button it displays it in my
browser, Firefox, correctly. It is neverthless onerous to constantly be
asked and have to then click the correct display button rather than
Gnome knowing to display it automatically.

This appears to be happening because the file on the NTFS has an
executable permission set to it because the umask I used in /etc/fstab
for the partition was 0222. However when I tried changing the umask to
0333, in order to only have the read bit turned on, after rebooting an
attempt to open the file from the launcher fails completely since
nothing happens.

Is there a solution to this problem, or is this just the way Gnome works
in regard to its launchers ?