[CentOS] Raw print queues in CentOS 4.4

Mon Jan 22 19:41:19 UTC 2007
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 11:30 -0800, Cameron Showalter wrote:
> > Ranbir
> >
> what type of okidata line printer and how is it connected to the
> network?

It's an Okidata ML395.  It's connected to a Windows 2000 PC (which we
want to get rid of, but can't because of the printer and one Windows
app), where the printer is being shared.

I've setup the Windows printer in CUPS as a Samba printer and raw queue.

> there are some generic dot matrix drivers for linux out
> there that may work for you, and depending on your model some model
> specific linux drivers at okidata.com.

I've tried the generic dot matrix drivers, and everything suggested on
the linuxprinting.org website multiple times.  Nothing has ever worked.
Every driver I've tried produces reams of pages with garbage on them.

It's really weird since the printer itself has a few different emulation
modes, and they all have equivalent drivers in CentOS 4.  But, they
simply don't work.  When I think about that printer my blood pressure
rises.

Anyway, printing is working except from OpenOffice.org.  I guess it's
sending a postscript document to the printer and the Windows driver
doesn't understand postscript, thinks the print job is just plain text,
and starts printing it.  But, like I said, I don't know much about
printing systems, so I'm probably wrong.

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu