[CentOS] Raw print queues in CentOS 4.4

Mon Jan 22 19:57:11 UTC 2007
Mark Snyder <mark at jmktdis.com>

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a raw print queue configured in CentOS 4.4 for a printer
> connected to a Windows PC.  The printer doesn't have a Linux driver of
> any sort, so this was the only way to print to it.
>
> The printer is an Okidata dot matrix printer.  Users can print to it
> from a console application, but if they try printing to it from OOo
> Writer, the printer spits out reams of pages with what looks like
> postscript code.  The very first page has a line that says "%!
> PS-Adobe-3.0".
>
> Even though the print queue is configured as "raw", why are OOo Writer
> print jobs still sent as postscript documents?  I'm don't know too much
> about printing, postscript, etc., so I don't know if this is normal or
> if something broke.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

Why would you want to configure the print que as raw when you are printing through an
application package? I understand that the console application may need the raw que as it is
probably doing all the printer formatting with the application.

Simply create another printer que to the same printer using the proper printer driver for
that printer and all will be well.

Mark Snyder
JMK Computerized TDIS
703 S. Glover Ave.