[CentOS] Re: RAID1 building via hardware

Tue Jan 30 16:55:43 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Patricia Bittencourt spake the following on 1/30/2007 8:27 AM:
>  Hi all,
>
>        I´m trying to create a RAID1 on a machine. I´ve already
> configurated BIOS (mother board, Intel, S500VSA SATA) so as to build
> RAID1 via hardware. However on CentOS Installer, when I reach "disk
> setup" screen, it shows up 2 devices (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb).
>
>        Is this right (both devices being showed)?
>
>        How should I proceed on this moment? If I create the partitions
> on sda, sdb will be identical?? There is no away to assure this on the
> installation, so that the doubt came to my mind...
>
> thanks in advance,
> Patricia
It sounds as though your boards raid is "fakeraid".
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Linux will see the base controller, as the raid is not true hardware raid.
Look at the software-raid FAQ for more details.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and