[CentOS] New packages installation via CDRom

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Thu Jul 5 18:36:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 03:29:04PM -0300, Adriano dos Santos Vieira enlightened us:
> Matt Hyclak escreveu:
> >On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 02:24:34PM -0300, Adriano dos Santos Vieira
> >enlightened us:
> >
> >>Does anyone knows how could I install some new packages on CentOS (4 and
> >>5) using the cdrom media?
> >>
> >>Att: My HD doesn't have much space to copy cdrom content to build a
> >>filesystem repository.
> >>
> >>I hope this great tool will should ask me by each cdrom witch it need,
> >>isn't it?
> >>

> >Look at the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo. The comments at the
> >top
> >should get you going.
> >
> >Matt
> >

> My appologizies, by my poor English and by my mistakes trying to explain
> you this.
> I just looked on that file. That one explain how to use DVD. If I'm not
> wrong that process sounds like a filesystem, isn't it?
> What about CDRom? I've a CDR-drive, thense I've 6 CDs (centos-5) media
> and I want to use them to install some new packages. Once again, how
> could I do this on CentOS?

You can use yum with the example in that file to install.

You could also just use RPM directly - i.e. mount CDRom, rpm -Uvh
/media/cdrom/RPMS/blah.rpm, unmount CD, but that will not prompt you for the
appropriate CD like you asked in the first message.

Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics
Department of Social Work
Ohio University