[CentOS] clustering vs. xen

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 23:48:36 UTC 2007

On 7/5/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> How does clustering relate to virtual hosts under xen?  Can you make a 2
> host failover cluster as the xen dom0 and have it take care of the
> guests or would you build 2 independent xen hosts and configure guests
> as failover clusters?  Or is there some other approach?

I have found the first approach is a nice solution to keep separation
between HA infrastructure and the services proper. Guests are unaware of the
particular failover mechanisms deployed on the hosts. You are not bound to
keep the same distribution over HA infrastructure and services VMs, ie you
deliver raw HA, your customers install whatever they like. When the HA
infrastructure is invasive (as when you need to do online replication and
are not able to deploy a clustered filesystem) and/or applications pervade
system config files (think apps that tinker with passwd+shadow), this
separation is a must. I would not break it by engaging the guests into HA
business.
Just my opinion --HTH

--
Eduardo Grosclaude