[CentOS] Re: SMP motherboard not recognized

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jul 11 19:05:26 UTC 2007

gen2 spake the following on 7/11/2007 11:02 AM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Is bios up to date?
>> Does non zen kernel detect both processors?
> Bios is not up to date, rather not go anywhere near that considering I
> can boot to the gentoo-minimal CD and see all 4 cores. Unless I'm not
> understanding something there...please explain if so. I assume if the
> bios is working for 2.6.16 gentoo, it should be fine for centos 2.6.18.
> non zen kernel panics immediately on boot, 2.6.18-8.1.8 or 2.6.18-8.1.6.
But a kernel from RedHat is not equal to a kernel from Gentoo. Patches are
added by each distro to comply with whatever patching ideal they have, or
hardware they are trying to comply with.
Unless it botches on install, a bios update usually doesn't hurt anything.
I see install docs on the IBM site up to RedHat Ent.4, so it should be OK. But
all the docs mention having the bios up to date.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!