[CentOS] NIS problems after installation

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Jul 16 23:34:57 UTC 2007

Steve Strong wrote:
> so, i just installed CentOS on our server and set up NIS using the
> same configuration as on our other server, but the clients' ypbind
> services complain that although they can find the correct server, the
> server does not respond to requests.
>
> to debug this, i've:
>
>    *    pinged the server using its ip and it's name
>    *    ssh'ed to the server using it's ip and name
>    *    ftp'd to the server using its ip and name
>    *    used dig to get the server's address from itself (dig @stretch
>      stretch.washcslab.org
>    *    checked to see that nfs and ypserv are running
>    *    checked to see if stretch could bind to it's own nis server
>

> and all of these were successful.  so, I also:
>
>    * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the server) both in
>      debug mode and gotten no errors
>    * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the CLIENT) both in
>      debug mode and gotten no errors
>
> any help with this really gnarly bug would be greatly appreciated!
> steve

Hi,

Are you running with Security Enhanced Linux Enabled or Disabled ?   If
so try disabling it at least temporarily.  Some people will say set to
permissive mode rather than disable, but specifically for NIS I have
seen different behaviour between permissive and disabled.  If this works
others may be able to assist you with getting SE Linux worknig with NIS.

Are you running a Firewall ?