[CentOS] yum remove 'tomcat*'?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jul 31 12:59:21 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> On CentOS 5, why does 'yum remove tomcat*' remove all of the openoffice
>>> packages?
>>>
>> That would be because openoffice requires tomcat to install it ... if
>> you tell yum that you want to remove tomcat ... since openoffice
>> requires tomcat, it has to also remove openoffice.
>>

> It seems bizarre for an office suite to depend on a java servlet engine,
> but OK...

We don't write it, we just build it and make sure it links up correctly
compared to upstream.

Now how do I get one that works under Sun java?  And is there
> a way to get eclipse without gcj?

Not from Red Hat (wrt sun java) ... they did use tomcat and gcj.  If you
want sun java, I imagine you would have to change the specs and rebuild.
  I have no idea how to do that (I have not looked at it at all).

You COULD get the OOo2 suite from the openoffice.org website ... that
gets rid of the tomcat issues.

Eclipse ... not sure.