[CentOS] yum remove 'tomcat*'?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 13:22:52 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> That would be because openoffice requires tomcat to install it ... if
>>> you tell yum that you want to remove tomcat ... since openoffice
>>> requires tomcat, it has to also remove openoffice.
>>>

>> It seems bizarre for an office suite to depend on a java servlet engine,
>> but OK...
>
> We don't write it, we just build it and make sure it links up correctly
> compared to upstream.
>
> Now how do I get one that works under Sun java?  And is there
>> a way to get eclipse without gcj?
>>

> Not from Red Hat (wrt sun java) ... they did use tomcat and gcj.  If you
> want sun java, I imagine you would have to change the specs and rebuild.
>   I have no idea how to do that (I have not looked at it at all).

Red Hat fixed their bug:
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2007-0365.html
I haven't seen a response to centos bugzilla 0002160 that I filed a
month ago about this.

And they have a packaged Sun Java available
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2007-0223.html
(that's the link for rhel4 but I think there is one for 5 too).

> You COULD get the OOo2 suite from the openoffice.org website ... that
> gets rid of the tomcat issues.

> Eclipse ... not sure.

In theory it shouldn't hurt to have the unused gjc package sitting around.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com