[CentOS] yum remove 'tomcat*'?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:01:30 UTC 2007

Shawn wrote:
>>> It seems bizarre for an office suite to depend on a java servlet engine,
>>> but OK...
>> Now how do I get one that works under Sun java?  And is there
>>> a way to get eclipse without gcj?
>> Not from Red Hat (wrt sun java) ... they did use tomcat and gcj.  If you
>> want sun java, I imagine you would have to change the specs and rebuild.
>>   I have no idea how to do that (I have not looked at it at all).
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
>> You COULD get the OOo2 suite from the openoffice.org website ... that
>> gets rid of the tomcat issues.
>> Eclipse ... not sure.
> I kept having serious issues with gcj and so went to sun's version then
> just got a .tar.gz package from eclipse.org

But that's kind of horrible because now you have to keep it updated

> I run it with:
> -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun- -vmargs
> -XX:PermSize=1024M
> [-vm is because I do have gcj installed but do _not_ want to use it; -XX
> is that with sun's java and what I was doing, it would crash unless the
> vm had a larger permSize]

Doesn't the alternatives mechanism take care of that?  It doesn't seem
that well thought out, though.  What if you want to run some programs
under one java version and others with a different one?  We're trying to
update some systems currently running under centos 3.x/java 1.4.x to the
most current versions that will work so I'd like to install the 1.4,
1.5, and 1.6 versions side-by-side on the same development machine so if
we run into any problems we can easily test under earlier versions to
see if there are differences.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com