[CentOS] First install No Sound

Fri Jul 6 13:12:08 UTC 2007
John Bowden <j-alan at btconnect.com>

On Friday 06 July 2007 05:17, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 05:09:46AM +0100, John Bowden alleged:
> > On Friday 06 July 2007 04:44, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > > On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 04:30:58AM +0100, John Bowden alleged:

> > > The listing for a driver implies that it is supported.  This might be a
> > > dumb question, but did you check the volume settings in the mixer app?
> >
> > Not such a dumb question, I had tried running the alsamixer command when
> > I had F7 installed but not after getting rid of F7 and installing CentOS.
> > I have just tried the command from the cli and here is what I got.
> >
> > [john at localhost ~]$ alsamixer
> >
> > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
> > [john at localhost ~]$
> >
> > When KDE starts up it gives me a error message about the sound problem.
> > Next time I reboot I will make a note of what it is. I know that the
> > speakers are plugged into the correct socket as this machine is one of
> > two that dual boots windozs and I get sound when I run windoz to play
> > games.
> > I'm off to bed now as its just past 5am so will shut down this box and
> > have another try later on today. Thanks for the help so far though.
>
> That means the driver isn't loaded.  'modprobe snd-mpu401' as root and
> try again.
Ok tried that command, at first it did not work so I specified the full path
and here is the out put.
[john at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root at localhost john]# modprobe snd-mpu401
bash: modprobe: command not found
[root at localhost john]# /sbin/modprobe snd-mpu401
[root at localhost john
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)