[CentOS] First install No Sound

Fri Jul 6 20:02:14 UTC 2007
John Bowden <j-alan at btconnect.com>

On Friday 06 July 2007 17:49:13 Lorenzo wrote:
> John Bowden ha scritto:
> >> I have a similar board from Asrock which has apparently the same onboard
> >> audio card; on my FC5 install the audio module used is snd-hda-intel and
> >> the sound works... the relevant section in /etc/modules.conf is:
> >>
> >> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> >> options snd-card-0 index=0
> >> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> >> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> >> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
> >
> > It would seem that I do not have a "modules.conf in /ect/. I have opened
> > konqueror in super user mode and done a search starting from / and the
> > only matching file I can find is in
> > file:///usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/Mo
> >dules.conf. I do have a modeprob.conf in /ect and it does have some sound
> > entries in it. I can post the contents if needed.
>
> Sorry, that was a typo from me... the right file is modprobe.conf
> Before editing the file try with modprobe snd-hda-intel if it works
>
> --
>
> bye
>
> Lorenzo

Ok tried the modprobe snd-hda-intel command I got no error messages, but no
sound. I also tried copying and pasting your sound section into my
modprobe.conf file and rebooted. I watched the boot process and it is
complaining about line 8 ( /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel).
Still no sound. Do I have to do a reboot when tinkering with the
modprobe.conf file or is there a command to reload it?

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)