[CentOS] Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Wed Jul 25 23:51:40 UTC 2007
Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com>

--- Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 11:21 -0700, Steven Vishoot
> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i am not sure if this is a concern, but if you are
> > running x86_64 desktop systems then i would
> suggest
> > putting the 32 bit centos. this will make life a
> lot
> > more pleasant for you when installing firefox and
> > other apps. if it is x86 then carry on :)
> >
> > my .02 cents
> >

> > Steven
>
> I have not run into any problems using 64bit as my
> desktop (I run
> Firefox as 32bit to get flash to work, but that is
> the only
> "modification").  I do this both at home and at
> work.  Granted, I use
> Fedora 7 on both of them, but there is no reason why
> you couldn't get
> the same functionality using CentOS.  I'm not afraid
> of compiling or
> rebuilding RPMs though.  Between Karanbir's RPM
> repository
> ( http://centos.karan.org ) and EPEL
> ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL ) I imagine
> that you could have a
> fairly complete desktop OS (I just prefer more
> bleeding-edge
> software/features).
>

> --
> Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com>
> Linux System Administrator
> EasyStreet Online Services, Inc.
> http://www.easystreet.com

hello timothy,

i understand what your saying with only having a few
desktops you can do that with little troubles. the
original poster has a lot (hundreds) to deploy and i
was only suggesting that for ease of support. as i
have seen a few post on the list about the trouble of
using 64 bit on desktop. that is why i suggested that
version.

Steven

Get your Art Supplies @ www.littleartstore.com