[CentOS] Re: Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Thu Jul 26 10:24:31 UTC 2007
beast <beast at ldap.or.id>

On 26/07/07 17:57 +0800, Feizhou wrote:
>>If I choose this path, can it be automatically done using yum with local
>>repository? what about existing data/settings/custom apps/etc? anyone has
>>real experiences on upgrading OS?
>
>You really want apt and deb based distros like ubuntu if you want to go
>this route.

Are you saying that upgrading Centos is not advisable/reliable path and
Ubuntu is better in this area?

(pls, im not trying to start flame, pardon my ignorance :)

>>Personally, I never upgrade the OS. I simply install the fresh one, but its
>>fine on my laptop, not for my clients.
>
>Use images then if all your 400 workstations are identical.

Yes, previously I just clone the HD, but thats ok only for new install, not
preserving the data/user settings.

I'm willing to go to every clients at first install if needed, but not every year or so
for maintenance. I need setup and forget setup :-p

Thanks!

--beast