[CentOS] Very early PANIC during boot

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jun 1 18:41:09 UTC 2007

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On a vaguely related note, I also have pondered the following in the
> past; if you observe a system booting, you'll see all the "[OK]" and
> "[FAILED]" messages.  Is there a log somewhere where you can check
> later on which services were started and which passed or failed?

the `dmesg` command will display the kernel message buffer, which
includes messages prior to syslogd starting up.   also look in
/var/log/messages

as dmesg can eventually overflow with junk (iptables logging messages,
for instance), I've been known to stuff a command like

    dmesg > /var/log/dmesg.boot

into /etc/rc.d/rc.local  just to keep a copy of the state of dmesg right
after boot for later reference.