[CentOS] Very early PANIC during boot

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jun 1 18:41:09 UTC 2007

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On a vaguely related note, I also have pondered the following in the
> past; if you observe a system booting, you'll see all the "[OK]" and
> "[FAILED]" messages.  Is there a log somewhere where you can check
> later on which services were started and which passed or failed?

the `dmesg` command will display the kernel message buffer, which
includes messages prior to syslogd starting up.   also look in

as dmesg can eventually overflow with junk (iptables logging messages,
for instance), I've been known to stuff a command like

    dmesg > /var/log/dmesg.boot

into /etc/rc.d/rc.local  just to keep a copy of the state of dmesg right
after boot for later reference.