[CentOS] Re: CentOS 5 Issues Booting Under VMWare

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Tue Jun 5 21:48:49 UTC 2007

Scott Silva spake the following on 6/5/2007 8:26 AM:
> hkclark at gmail.com spake the following on
> 6/5/2007 5:19 AM:
>> Hi,
>> VMWare has been a great tool for me to experiment with CentOS 3 and
>> CentOS 4.  However, I'm running into issues with CentOS 5.  First, it
>> is *extremely* slow to boot (as in it takes over an hour to boot
>> CentOS 5 on a machine that boots CentOS 3 & 4 in less than one
>> minute).  Then, after an hour of slowly watching the messages go by on
>> the console and the CPU of the host machine pegged at 100%, I get this
>> error:
>> VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
>> NOT_REACHED F(562):1742
>> A log file is available in ...
>> I have done a "minimal install" of CentOS 5 (all checkboxes in the
>> category/task selection screen are unchecked -- so to X-Windows
>> involved) and the virtual machine has 750MB of RAM.  I'm using VMWare
>> Workstation 4.5 and the host OS is Windows XP Pro.  I have not been
>> able to install the VMWare tool since I can't get it to finish
>> booting.
>> Has anyone else run into this?  I have seen some discussion on the
>> list about VMWare and CentOS 5, but nothing that seemed to match what
>> I'm running into.
>> Thanks,
>> Kennedy
> I'm doing an install right now. I'll let you know my results.
Disregard my input. I am running VMWare 5.4 not 4.5, so my tests are
meaningless to you.

I am running the free VMWare Server 1.0.3 and CentOS 5 seems to load fine for me.  It loads up in a reasonable amount of time given that it is running on a workstation in a virtual session.

What is the configuration of your VMWare session?  I set mine up using mostly default choices.  I did change the "system type" To RHEL 4 and I bumped the default RAM up to 512M.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

CentOS mailing list