[CentOS] what is extra/ updates/ and weak-updates/ under /lib/modules/<kernel>/ directories?

Robinson Tiemuqinke hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 00:23:56 UTC 2007

 there are three 'extra' directories under
/lib/modules/<kernel>/ directories for each kernel
version. Any one can explain what is the real
functions for these three directories, and how to use
them correctly?

 I found a document talks a little about it at
but would like to know more real alive examples to see
how I can really use the kernel driver update